R: TopBand: West coast to Europe

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: R: TopBand: West coast to Europe
From: scaroni" <scaroni@phoenix.it (scaroni)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:57:46 +0100
Hallo to all the Topbanders,
just few minutes ago i have read the message posted from Tree in the
reflector, and i want to comment the strange opening with the west coast.
I was get up in a middle of the night for listen the VP8, but not signal
here also on 1000 feet beverage placed for this country to 220 degrees the
saturday morning, swepping on the band i had heard OK1DOT making qso with
few station from 6 land, audible here, and i had tried to call also for
west, but..............surprise, the signal on the 1000 feet beverage was
zero!!!!, nothing absolutely, only heard KA6W well, but on my 2 little
phased magnetic loop 0.5 meters radius toward to 300 degrees, and many other
call but weak.
So also on the big slooping dipole top at 80 meters from ground nothing was
audible, so i had realized that it was a high angle opening, and infact a
station here near me but  with high angle antenna heard better than me that
night.
So, a little bit frustating for not heard i have made qrt, but i was in
radio to listen until 05.30 Z, and same signal from est coast was better on
the 220° beverage than the other on 260° , why?????? may be that the high
angle was already operative, but with the west the opening was closed at
about 03.45 Z.
So, i believe that in this situation the low dipole that i had last year may
was a chance for that opening, or a EWE or K9AY, that all two had a low but
also a high angle pattern.
The my two phased little loop need to be preamplified and so i have missed
many call.
I am very sorry!!!!!
But the strange thing is why here seems for me that while the signal was
arriving  with high angle for the receiving, in this tipical conditions, the
signal that produce a big signal in USA is even made with the low angle
antenna, also this summer i have made same test with a delta loop full size,
before with vertical polarizazion, with good reports from NA, and later with
horrizontal polarizazion, in my sunrise the signal from NA was many times
S9, so increased, but my signal in NA was dropped of many and many dB!!
So i know that  my 2 element slooping dipole produce a big signal, and i
dont want to believe that my home made PA  with 8877 drived from my IC737 is
the big difference compared to the other station, so may be that the
difference is  3 to 5  db more of many station that use 500 w to 1 kw power
levels, but at the least seems that the my antenna is really the winner on
this band, and thanks also to very good ground below.
Ahhh, i was forgetting, i have made a EWE for JA and est, and with long DX
is a little quiter than the est TX slooping dipole, so, for me is really a
good RX antenna for all the station that use a simple omnidirectional
vertical also for transmitt and receive, for my system it help me many
times.
160 is really an obsession, not a band!

Vy 73s to all from Italy, and hope to another good opening but with normal
condition. hi hi

IK2DED Giulio.