TopBand: RX AID FROM THE PAST

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RX AID FROM THE PAST
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:35:49 -0800 (PST)
Hi Guys,

I ran accross an article from FEB 1986 QST written by Bob Sommer,
N4UU, titled "A SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE RECEIVING AID".  Briefly, this
method uses two audio filters (one lowpass and one highpass) feeding
stereo headphones (or two speakers) with the "lowpass" audio feeding
one ear and the "highpass" audio feeding the other.  Supposedly, if
several signals and/or noise are crowded into your rcvr passband, each
appears to be located in a different spatial position in relation to
the operator.  This provides your consciousness a "directional"
parameter which enhances your ability to focus attention on, and
better comprehend the desired signal.  Sure seems like a natural for
topband!  The question is, did anyone ever build this accessory and
find it useful?  I don't recall ever seeing any commercial products
built using this technique either. Maybe it never caught on but it
looks interesting!  Dig out your old QST's and take a look.

73, Stew  K3ND