TopBand: TX antenna test

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TX antenna test
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:58:13 -0700
Fellow Topbanders,

        Please take a few minutes to read this post, and if you can
respond to the request I would be extremely appreciative.

        For the upcoming CQ WW 160 CW contest next weekend, I, together
with Robin, WA6CDR, will be seeking reports of a comparison of our
transmitted signals during the contest.

        Here is what is happening and the reason for the request.

        I will be operating my home station, N5IA, from southwest New
Mexico in Zone 4 as a SOHP effort.

        I have prepared another station located some 15 miles from my home,
but situated in southeast Arizona, Zone 3.  Robin will travel here from Los
Angeles and operate that station as a SOHP effort, using the callsign N7GP.

        Both stations will use FT-1000 MPs and Alpha Amplifiers.  The
significant difference is that N5IA will use a full sized 1/4 wavelength
Ground Plane elevated 1/8 wavelenth at the feedpoint and N7GP will use
horizontally polarized wire antennas 1/2 wavelength above ground level.
These antennas are a full sized dipole broadside NW/SE and 3-1/2 waves in
phase broadside NE/SW.  Also, the two antennas are capable of being fed in
phase.

        We are seeking some realtime information on the Vertical vs
Horizontal polarization of the transmit antennas over the full period of
the contest.

        Robin and I would appreciate any effort that can be made by any and
all participants in the contest, or casual listeners, who can provide us
with a report of how the two signals compare.  This can be at the time you
contact us and at any other time you are scanning the band looking for
contacts.

        In particular we would appreciate observations at the time the band
is opening and closing at our location as well as yours.  The more
observations by the same station over the full contest period would
certainly provide a better snapshot.  Of course any and all reports, single
or multiple from any location in the world, will be appreciated.

        Robin will run N7GP between 1.820-30 and I will run N5IA between
1.840-50.  We will both S&P at times.

        After the contest, please E-mail your reports to miltj@aepnet.com
and CC to wb6tza@compuall.net.

        Thanks in advance for any and all efforts to provide us with
information and observations.  73, and CU all in THE 'TEST on THE BAND.

Milt, N5IA