TopBand: RE: EWE antenna characteristics

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RE: EWE antenna characteristics
From: bfrede@poci.amis.com (bfrede@poci.amis.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:50:38 -0700
I have 4 EWEs of nearly the same construction you described.  I do not have the
horizontal ground wire.  The EWE is not a miracle antenna but it sure helps me
hear on a small lot.  Signals on the EWE are down about 20dB from my inverted
L.  I use an old Ameco preamp with the EWEs and adjust the gain so I have
enough signal but just below where the noise takes off.  I think the preamp has
a max gain of 20dB.  It works well with some signals on 160m and not very well
on others.  I have found it is better at rear attenuation rather than a tight
front beamwidth.

The best way I have found to test a EWE is by listening to AM broadcast
stations.  You know where the stations are and there is plenty of signal to
work with so no preamp is needed. Since you only have one EWE it will be hard
to hear the directional differences.  I am located in Idaho and I can listen to
WHO in Des Moines on 1040 with my east EWE and when I switch to the west I hear
another station in California.  The results are impressive to hear.  This is a
good antenna for broadcast band DXing.

Although I used the 160m dimensions it also works well on 80m.  40m performance
is marginal but useful at times.

I just finished reconstruction of my EWEs yesterday and was rewarded with a
160m QSO with FO0XUU at midnight.  I could only hear him on my west EWE.  It's
no Beverage but it works for me on my limited property.

73,
Bill Frede  W7II
Pocatello, ID
150 miles N of Salt Lake City