TopBand: T33RD from Oregon

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: T33RD from Oregon
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:19:27 -0800 (PST)

Been up many of the mornings around 0900 and except for one short burst,
hadn't heard T33RD - until this morning.

Never was he really loud - QSBing up above the noise about 25 percent
of the time, but the signal did improve as time went on.  They QSYed
from 80 meters at 0945Z as advertised by AA1K on the packetcluster
earlier that evening.  They weren't strong on 80 either, but easy to
work.

The vertical was the better antenna which is interesting because I
have gotten so used to using the dipole for QSOs out west.  This
is probably explained by normally working stations in that direction
near sunrise where the sky wave angles are higher.

There were some QRM problems on his TX frequency.  Some guy kept tuning
up with dits...  arghh!!  However, I finally got him in the log around
10:32 UTC.  Heard "TR N6" and then "559" and after sending my report
"TU TU TU".

There were still LOTS of people calling after he came back to someone.
This is a combination of the QSB effect that others must have had, and
the shortness of his replies - which people would double with.  I had
success calling a little above "the pack", so spreading out might be
a good idea.

Hope many made it and that the WPX SSB contest won't make QSOs more
difficult tomorrow and Sunday.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com