Topband: P43W heard in VK6

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: P43W heard in VK6
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:13:47 +0800
After hearing strong central/south american signals on 40m around 1000Z
today (Sunday), I tuned down to 1.8308 at 1008Z and was amazed to hear P43W
calling CQ at a solid RST 559.

Unfortunately, after hearing one CQ call, I called without success and P43W
then went QRT or QSY. It sounded as though he had already called CQ a couple
of times, as a ZL station seemed to be calling the P43 when I first heard
the latter.

This is the first time I have ever heard a Caribbean station at this time of
year on 160m.  Caribbean stations are extremely hard to work from VK6 at any
time - I have only ever heard/worked two - 6y5/k2kw and Vp5/wa2vya in my
time on 160m.

If anyone works the P43, please could they QSP that Mike VK6HD and myself
will be listening for him tomorrow (Monday) at the same time/frequency.

Incidentally, conditions were generally excellent on 160m on Sunday.  After
hearing P43W, KH2/K4SXT was worked with a RST 579 signal and Tom W8JI was a
genuine RST 599 - as loud as Bob VK3ZL!

There is definitely still life in the topband - big time!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ