Topband: Summary of responses No VK, ZL, JA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Summary of responses No VK, ZL, JA
From: jomara@erols.com (Jack O'Mara)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:13:00 +0100
Fellow Topbanders

Having received no objections here is a summary of the responses to my question
"Why have I not heard a VK, ZL or JA in my 5 years on top band?"
 Over 30 people responded to this query and I could sum up all the answers
with the statement" Be on religiously, every day at sunrise during the months
of December and January." This is the best time to hear stations in these areas.

Following is a list of additional information supplied that pertains to the
quest.

1. Antennas successfully used to work/hear these areas are Inverted L, EWE,
Inverted V, terminated Beverages, loops and dipoles. The Beverage was #1.

2. Power used in working them ranged from QRP to hi power. All successful.

3. The timing was one hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunrise.

4. Mode used was CW

5. JA frequencies (their TX) 1907.5 to 1912.5 They will tell what freqs they
   are listening on.

6. VK and ZL mostly run transceive between 1800 and 1835

7. Use a Packet Cluster if available

8. Call CQ if the band sounds dead

Looking over the power ranges and antennas that have been successfully used
indicates this is very possible, but only if your there when the target stations
are and the propagation is right. BE CONSISTENT.

I would like to thank the 30 people who responded to me. It would appear
I'm not on often enough at the right times so that will change and I need
to terminate my Beverage.

If any of you Gurus out there see any errors in my summary please feel free
to correct them. I certainly dont want to make a difficult job even harder.

73
Jack W4AD