Topband: 160m sloper problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m sloper problem
From: boerkamp@nortelnetworks.com (Ted Boerkamp)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:21:49 -0400
Hello everyone......I am having a problem with a sloper antenna and I am hoping
to get some ideas from everyone here as to how I can fix it. Basically, I have a
160m sloper (approx 130ft long) coming off of my tower at the 48ft level sloping
down into a field behind my house. At the top of the tower is the TH7 beam.
My feedline is rg213 going up the tower to a rcs-4 relay box with a jumper of
rg213 going up to the sloper. The center wire is connected to the sloper and
the shield is connected to the tower. I may add that the jumper of coax is on
position 4 of the relay box so whether the power is on or off on the box, the
sloper is in line when position 4 is selected. The problem is that my swr is
a steady 5:1 across the band.  I have tried using an analyzer to find a
resonance point but I dont see one....I have tried shortening the line just to
see a reaction of some kind to no avail.....I have a sloper for 80m put up the
same way and the match is near flat...works good!  Does anyone have any
suggestions???....I am perplexed at this point.....the relay box is brand new
and my other antennas all work ok through it.....the jumper is the only part I
have not checked out since putting this up.  Does my configuration sound correct
to everyone or am I missing anything?? I am using wire on the other side of the
insulator to fasten the end to a tree....is this acceptable or should I change
it to rope??? Any help is appreciated

73  Ted  VE3SS