Topband: Noise Sources

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noise Sources
From: kk4ca@icx.net (Ken Moore)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:31:21 +0100
Gm All, Steve Ireland's problem brings to mind an incident that occured
here recently. I was getting an S8 noise accross the band that sounded
like it was coming from my computer, and when the computer was turned
off, comfirmed that as the source. After another round of trying snap-on
ferrite beads on various power, interface,etc cables, I discovered that
even with the receive antenna jack disconnected that the noise was still
S8. Closer inspection of the cabling between my remote relay control box
and transceiver showed that one of the coax cables was not fully seated
into its jack. The center conductor was made but not the shield. (RCA
phono type). When the connector was pushed on securely, the noise
dropped to S2, which is more like my usual quiet condition, and I could
hear again.  Just thought I'd pass this on in the hope that it might
help someone. 73, Ken, KK4CA