Topband: Re: ON4UN Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: ON4UN Antenna
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:24:03 -0400
> How about using an Amidon T-400-A powdered iron toroid core up there to
> shrink the physical size and wire length?

It depends on the end application. Most often, toroids are not
useful in a loading system.

Toroids work best in high-shunt-capacitance or low-impedance
systems. They have far too much distributed capacitance for

It's too complex to summarize for this reflector why, but air core
space wound inductors are almost always best. Q maxs out at
about 700 or so in an optimum design air core inductor.

Toroids are lucky to make a Q of a hundred unless the reactance
required is low, and they suffer from heating because losses are
concentrated in a small area that isn't exposed to airflow.

I generally don't plug things that are being sold, but "Antennas and
Transmission Lines" by Dr. John Kuecken (probably the best
antenna guy I ever met) has an entire section on loading reactance
design. At my urging, MFJ reprinted his book (which was used in
the 60's as part of antenna theory courses I took).

If you have a copy of any antenna theory book, you should have
this one.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com