Topband: Loading Coil

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Loading Coil
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:54:13 EDT
Tom (W0HH)

Don, WD8DSB, gave you some great information.  Here's another slant.  AEA
makes a little antenna called a DXA sloper which I picked up a few years ago
after some frustration in trying a full 1/4 wave sloper on my tower.  This is
a pretty reasonable (about $60-70) I believe, package which is basically a
"1/2 sloper" type of antenna for 40/80/160--has a coil in the 40 meter leg
which makes it work on 160.  I have no interest in the manufacturer--just
wanted to let you know it's an option.  It's also a pretty quick and cheap
way to see how your tower/antennas/ground will react to this type of antenna
which can be pretty quirky.  It is handy to have it as a reference antenna
for the other bands, but, for me, it's strictly a 160 antenna.  I have it
running off at the 80' point on a larger tower with several antennas and it
works amazingly well--105 countries in the past 3 seasons from northern MN.
No Europe heard this year, yet, however!

Another way to get on a real fun band!  Good luck.

John
N0IJ