Topband: attn: group coming to FS for CQWW...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: attn: group coming to FS for CQWW...
From: n3oc@wirelessinc.com (n3oc@wirelessinc.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:29:53 GMT
I am sorry for the off topic message, but I wanted to get some info to
the group coming to St. Martin for the CQWW, and I know they read this
reflector.

St. Martin sustained a direct hit from hurricaine Jose, with sustained
winds of 90mph and gusts to 100mph.  Most of the heavy damage was on the
dutch side, the water is still off over there and power is out in certain
areas.

The worst part was that we had 14 inches of rain yesterday, and there is
serious flooding, mostly on the dutch side.

The airport is open, although the runway was almost lost due to the heavy
seas.  The problem now is there is a curfew on the dutch side, so no one
can travel there from or to the airport (except by authorized cab).
Hopefully that will be OK by the time you guys arrive.

The good news is that the damage was minor on the French side, and today
we were finally able to get to Marigot (no curfew on the FS side) and I
rode over to Nettle Bay and the resorts there seem to be in good shape
and seem to be open.

There is more rain predicted maybe on Tuesday, so there is a chance that
things will be messed up again with the flooding if that happens.

As of now, you should be able to get here OK and get set up for the contest
with no problems.

If you guys have any further questions, you can email me directly at
n3oc@wirelessinc.com.

Thanks everyone for this off-topic but important message.

73, Brian FS/N3OC