Topband: Using an MFJ1026

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Using an MFJ1026
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein K0HA)
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 21:13:47 -0800
Hi Richard,
I have found my Beverages working well over the high ground conductivity
in this part of Nebraska.  However, it does so at the expense of losing
some of its weak signal sensitivity.
I purchased a MFJ-1026 with the hopes of doing two things on 160M:
   Reducing the static level (it is my limiting noise even in January)
   And improving my reception abilities via phasing two Beverages
I've found it only to provide an occasional sligbt reduction in my
static level.  However, the reception enhancement provided by phasing
two parallel Beverages has made me glad that I made the purchase.
I have my 1026 jumper set for maximum gain for the auxiliary antenna
(Beverage).  It makes a significant improvement in the signal level
there compared to it being switched off.  I don't recomment using the
sense whip antenna provided, but the added RF preamp for the auxiliary
antenna in the 1026 makes it a wise choice instead of the 1025.
Before obtaining a 1026, I used an extra RF preamp with a single
Beverage to better match receive strengths to that obtained when
my transmit antenna is used for receive.  I still use it for the
Beverage feeding the 1026's main antenna input, but don't use any
extra preamps with the aux antenna input (other that the 1026's
internal switchable preamp).  That results in a stronger signal from
the main antenna input, but it can be satisfactorly matched with the
aux antenna via the main antenna level control.  I would prefer
seeing a preamp similar to the one used for the aux antenna added
internally for the main antenna.  With that more frequently being
used with the transmit antenna for receive I can understand why
it's not there...
It's easy to compare the phased Beverages vs a single one, and the
phased pair virtually always wins.  It makes the difference between
thinking about calling a station ("I can almost copy") and working
a DX station.
I guess that my evaluation of the MFJ-1026 can best be demonstrated
by the fact that I recently purchased my second one.  I'm currently
completing installation of three parallel Beverages which will be
phased for reception towards Europe.  My stagger fed Beverage design
should permit a wider preferred azimuth shift via the 1026's PHASE
control than I had last year (besides having a more narrow main lobe).
I didn't plan ahead well enough and am now moving these Beverage's
4 degrees in azimuth to better avoid trees.
 already have a second pair of Beverages up for another direction.
My time available and motivation will determine how much else goes up...

73,  Bill     K0HA