Topband: 160M Activity at A61AJ Coming Up

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M Activity at A61AJ Coming Up
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:14:07 EST
Hello Topband friends

For those still needing to work A6 on Topband, pse keep an ear out just
before the CQWW CW contest, during the contest itself and on Sunday evening
following CQWW CW next week.

A number of us will be going over to A61AJ to operate the CQWW CW contest.
Serious 160M TX and Rx antennas are planned - so with any kind of condx at
all, this will represent a good chance for some of the less-advantaged
stations around the world to work this rare topband country.

Special emphasis will be placed on the midwest USA in the periods leading up
to sunrise (about 0235z these days).  Keep your eye on packet to be sure
starting about 02z, but expected Tx frequencies will be 1.824  and, possibly,
1.805 as an alternate Tx freq.  In both cases, QSX will be up 3-4 Khz.

During periods favorable to the Midwest USA, directed calls will be made to
this area - if you have already worked this country, **please** give others a
chance to be heard.

Plans call for a pair of side by side beverages to the USA for RX and single
beverages (some 1180 feet long) toward JA, toward VK/ZL and South
America/Africa.  Two xmit antennas will be used:

1) An inverted Vee at 150 feet with the ends pulled way out to about 100 feet.
2) A phased-pair of 5/8 wave spaced full-sized 1/4 wave verticals - each with
at least 36 on ground radials

The latter antenna will be aimed at EU/USA and should produce about 5.2dbi of
real gain in the broadside pattern.

We are hoping for good condx during the contest and are looking forward to
working as many Topband friends as we can.

CU on the air - hopefully starting at the end of next week - at Thurs or
Friday sunrise in A6.  This is between 9:00-9:35PM EST on either Wed or Thurs
evening here in the USA.  It is unlikely we will be fully set up before then.
But keep your "ears on" just in case....

Good luck.
73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com