Topband: 160M Report A61AJ 25 Nov 1999 - 0250z

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M Report A61AJ 25 Nov 1999 - 0250z
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:30:02 +0000
To: btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: 160M Report A61AJ 25 Nov 1999 - 0250z
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 07:32:45 GST

(Guys, this will be the last message forwarded from me since my XYL
and I are taking a small trip to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
I will leave the reflector on autopilot, so remember not to include
cc's, html attachments, etc. and your messages should go right thru.
Good luck to all in the contest and see you Sunday evening...de W4ZV)

Hi Bill

Here's tonight's NA log on 160M - but first a few comments.  I would
appreciate it if you could post this to the reflector for me.

I am beginning to figure out the propagation from here and it has been
somewhat of a surprise to me.

Basically, the band opens (under normal condx) to NA about 2335z.  Then
there is a rapid build-up of signal strength moving toward 0000z - and a
really intense peak occurs from about 0010-0030z.

In this period, you really have to make hay rapidly as stations all across
the USA are in there calling furiously - and, of course, you are trying to
maximize rate so you can move on efficiently.

At times, for example, I had four calls entered in the log and was trying to
work those in the queue as quickly as I could - if you know what I mean.
But, it is a real challenge getting calls and reports across - and the peak
doesn't last very long.

>From about 0045z, the condx start to drop -  & then the peak propagation
area from here into the USA shifts SOUTH to the 4th call area - and the 4's
are the last to fade down for the next hour or so.

The peak to the Midwest 8/9 and 0 call areas occurs roughly between 0015 and
0050z.

The band thereafter sounds "MUSHY" (fully absorbed) and you can tell guys
are there calling - but you cannot really hear them at all - just a presence
of callers.

Around 0205z, it starts to open again towards sunrise - but nowhere as good
as it was earlier at 0z.

What you hear as the band goes out is PUNY weak East Coast signals (for the
most part) and VE1ZZ - who is always LOUD.

Tonight's loudest signals were probably W8JI and TI4CF - who literally blew
me out of the chair at 0101z.

A series of W4's from 0040z - 0043z also were incredibly loud at 579
including N4AH, K4DY and N4JI - almost in the room with me.

I would appreciate knowing people's opinions as to any difference in my XMIT
signal between Tues night 24 Nov versus Wed night 25 November.

On Tues night I was still xmitting on the 150 foot high inverted vee.

Tonight (Wed night) I was using the pair of 1/4 wave verticals spaced 5/8
wave apart in a broadside array.

I know it works as I spent most of the evening checking patterns in Europe
and it is clear that it is working.  But, I wonder if I was perceived by the
gang to be any louder there in the states?  It seemed as I might have been,
as folks seemed to come back more reliably to me when I answered them and I
seemed to receive BETTER RST reports.  If anyone wants to send me an email
to K1ZM@aol.com with their input and opinions, I would enjoy reading it when
I get back home - thanks!  BTW, I cannot access my email from here - so I
will reply when I return home on 30 NOV.

I did check LP into the West coast from 45 mins before sunset right up until
1630z.  It barely opened on 80M and 160M was a total washout.  But, I will
try again tonight at sunset - hoping for a shot at N7UA, NI6T, K0CS and
others.  Listen on 1832 - I will CQ there and hope for an opening....

I was delighted tonight to work K8MFO, NA0Y, KD9SV, N8TR, K6EID, W6UB (where
is he?, W9YSX and W8AH (last in the log at 0240z - just after sunrise.)

Here's tonight's list of about 62 stations worked:

Band opened at 2351z:

N2MM/K3OO/KT3Y/KD9SV/K3LR/N3RA/K1PT/K3UA/WB3AVN/KM3T/KT3Y/N8TR/K1HTV/K2UO/
N2NT/K3NW/N2RM/K3SV/K8MFO/K3JGJ/K3II/WB9Z/K6EID/N4ZY/K2FL/W4PK (GOT HIM
THIS TIME!)/N4UH/K3NZ/K5ZG/K1FZ/W6UB/W3GH/WJ4T/N4XM/W2RQ/W4GF/W9YSX/AA4Z/
W9XR/W4NL/K3UA (AGAIN)/NN4T/N4CFL/N4OL/W2GE/N4AH/K4DY/N4JI/K4AU/
K4EA (BROKEN LAST NIGHT - GOT IT RIGHT TONIGHT)/NA0Y (CONGRATS KEN!)
/N4KG/TI4CF/W8JI/K4WM/K1ZZ/VE1ZZ/N4XR/K4SO/K2TQC/W8AH.

Last contact was with W8AH at 0240z (just after my sunrise approx).

Again, congrats to all who made the grade - it was my pleasure to work so
many.  Let's hope condx hold for one more day.

For those still trying, PLEASE remember to show up EARLY for the best prop!
It gets really rolling about 2355z and the best prop is over by 0100z.  The
early bird gets the worm!

73 de Jeff/K1ZM at A61AJ