Topband: Tuning Elevated Radials?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tuning Elevated Radials?
From: herbr@netcom.com (Herb Rosenberg)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:53:15 -0800 (PST)

I recently installed a shunt feed for my tower to load it up on 160
Meters, and I have installed 4 -  1/4 wave elevated radials on it, that
go off in four directions around the tower.

It has been suggested that I can "tune" these radials by connecting two
radials at a time to a center coaxial connector (a makeshift dipole of
sorts), and using something like a MFJ 259, to measure there resonance and
then prune them accordinging for the frequency (1830) I am looking for.

I am wondering if this is the best way to do that, and if I should expect
to see something different as far as the resonance freq is concerned,
given the radials (ie the dipole I am making out of them) will only be 10
feet above the ground?

Is there a better way to do this, and what if anything can I expect to
see as a result?

Your comments as always, are appreciated.

Herb - KG6OK

herbr@netcom.com