Topband: Multi-Band Inverted-L?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Multi-Band Inverted-L?
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:15:51 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded on this issue, both to the List
and directly to me. I'll summarize them here,a nd will review them
and post a more detailed summary following the ARRL 160M
Contest this  weekend (if I survive).

In brief, the responses said:

  1) It'll work, and is just what is done in the Battlecreek Special
       (Several folks pointed this out!);

  2) The trap must be capable of handling more current than for
       the same trap used in an 80/160 dipole (1.41 time the current)
       (Thanks W8JI);

  3) Don't forget to account for the extra side-stress on the mast
        section:  back guys recommended (I already use them for the
        current 160M Inv-L) (Thanks AD8I....er, W8IK);

  4) In my case (45-foot vertical, ~85-foot horizontal) it might be a
      good idea to increase the vertical section 5-10 feet, mount the
      trap on the mast, and resonate for 80m. Then add the horizontal
      wire and tune for 160m (Thanks W8IK).

  5) At least one person suggested shunt-feeding the 70-foot tower
       instead;

  6)  Someone suggested sloping a second vertical section up to
        create an 80-m vertical or inv-L on the same base;

I'm going to look over the traps I have and see if they can handle
the current requirements for, and if not find plans for a coaxial trap
that I can  make.

NOTHING is going to be tried until after the Stew Perry Topband
Challenge!

Thanks all, and I'll hear you in the ARRL 160M this weekend
(if I get the rest of the Beverages installed tonight and tomorrow!).

73,

Jeff Maass     jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192   NROI/CRO   Amateur Radio K8ND
 Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass