Topband: Propagation Anomalies from A61AJ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation Anomalies from A61AJ
From: 4x4nj@iname.com (R. Kline)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:03:24 -0000
Regarding VE1ZZ, yes, he is further North than most, but also further East.
He is closer to the Middle East than anybody else in North America.   At
least from 4X, he is not behind the auroral oval.  From here, the auroral
oval generally is West of an imaginary line running from Minnesota through
to Southern Texas.  I believe that Jack's signal is due to a combination of
things that would include: (1) his general geographical location (mentioned
above), (2) his specific QTH - which has been said to be ideally located in
the clear and almost surrounded by the sea. (3) His excellent understanding
and application of good antenna design principles.  I should add that here
in 4X, we know that Jack's signal is unique and we hear him often as Jeff
has mentioned in his Email - very strong with no other North Americans even
being faintly heard.

73,
Riki, 4X4NJ