Topband: Dipole/Reflector

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Dipole/Reflector
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:54:58 -0800
I wonder if anyone has seen any information on using a 160 meter dipole with
a reflector, ie 2 element wire beam for 160 meters.  If the thing is about
75 feet high, still very low for an effective horizontal antenna for low
angle radiation on this band, does the reflector change the mostly straight
up radiation pattern.

We tried one for the 160 meter contest, but it was hard to say how it worked
as conditions were poor in MS.  Plenty of Thunderstorms and crashing and
banging.

The antenna was physically east/west, lobes north south.

We manged to work DF2PY before the contest, but no EU during the contest. We
had one Beverage to North, but conditions were very poor for hearing.

The antenna semed to do well to California, which is off the end.

I know on air tests are purely subjective, but we are still amateurs and
don't have an antenna testing facility.

Anybody have any ideas about how the pattern of this thing would be???

266 feet dipole, centerfed ladder line at 75 feet, and a 300 foot reflector
a quarter wave away at 75 feet, basically parallel to the driven element???

Mike
AB5XP