Topband: Stew Perry Contest Observations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry Contest Observations
From: gmguerin@voyager.net (George & Marijke Guerin)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:58:26 -0800
i All,

This was my first serious part of a Stew Perry Contest.  I was the second Op
at W8TOP, along with W8UVZ.  Lots of QRPers Stateside, took some repeats and
QSB peaks to get all the Grid Info, but it worked.  Between 0300 & 0715 zulu
I could find DJ7AA readable until his sunrise.  He was the only totally
consistant station coming through the absorbtion.
There were many QSB peaks and mini-openings:  I heard SM4CAN early, but
missed him, then found him on 1836 and answered his CQ TEST with a solid
2-way.  I was running on 1823 for a while and kept hearing a signal in the
mud.  Eventually I could copy HA8BE running on the same frequency.  As he
became readable we had a good contact.  Similar situation with S57M, who we
heard 3 times before a contact was made.  Heard a whif of 9A4U(?) and 9A1A,
but no contacts.  UA2FF was good copy for a while but probably had lots of
U QRM and QRN.  about 0630 6W6JX was readable but didn't hear either a W4
or me.   At 0700 ON4UN was about 50 hz off the 1830 birdie, but was Q4-5.
W9RE worked him and I called thereafter.  John was fading into his local
sunrise.  IV3PRK and another I-station were in a S-9 pile-up calling someone
on 1834.  I couldn't hear the other end and never heard Italy again!
We heard one G early, nothing later.  No KH6 on their sunset, fortunately we
got one after 1000 zulu.
I guess I am dissapointed that Santa's helpers couldn't reduce the
absorbtion.  Also lots of "part time" activity, like people coming home from
a reception or evening shopping and then lighting up 160.  That makes it fun
and makes you balance your run time with your hunt and pounce time.

Thanks to all who called us.    73     CU in the CQWW160CW!

George  (and George)