Topband: 3W5FM Long Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 3W5FM Long Path
From: dz@VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:03:23 -0500 (EST)
Bill, Congrats on working 3W5FM Thursday. I saw a note on the DX Summitt
as an ANNOUNCE message from 3W5FM-@ later in the day, directed to Bob,
W4DR mentioning 1826 @ 1145Z.  When I got up this morning, I dropped a
short TALK message to W4DR via the MD/VA DX-Cluster, alerting him to
the 3W5FM message. He hadn't heard of the info. Well, to make a long
story shorter, W4DR worked 3W5FM on the Top Band today for #295!  I could
barely hear the 3W on the K1HTV vertical and heard nil on the stinko
EWE's.

Many stations were calling 3W5FM on 160M, but it appears that W4DR was
the only one he worked. 3W5FM then QSY'd back to 3792 CW (yes 3792 KHz,
QSX on 3800 CW!) to work a number of Stateside stations. Who said that
CW was dead?

73 & Happy New Year
Rich - K1HTV
dz@voa.gov  or K1HTV@ARRL.net

P.S.  He was only 559 on 80 today compared to yesterday's 589!  I've
learned he is running 150 watts to a 60' vertical about 100' from the
South China Sea!  He was also well down on 160 today (about 229 here).
de W4ZV