Topband: 3W5FM on skew path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 3W5FM on skew path
From: w4dr@mindspring.com (w4dr@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:32:54 -0000
On Jan 6 at 11:45 3W5FM appeared on 1826 and both W4ZV and I called him.
Bill got a solid QSO and I called again with no apparent response...later
several stations said he did answer me, but no two-way resulted.  I sent him
a packet message to listen for me and sure enough at exactly 11:45 on Jan 7
he left 80 so I called on 1826 and he came right back and we exchanged
339's.  The signals from 3W5FM on 80 and 160 on Jan 7 were way down from Jan
6 and the area of propagation obviously had changed because W4ZV couldn't
copy Coly.  Many US stations called Coly after our QSO, but he called VE1ZZ,
who was past local sunrise, and then went back to 3792.  I believe  Bill is
right about the "delta timeframe" theory for the skew path to SE Asia from
the East Coast US.  Unforunately Coly is now QRT for 3 weeks, but all this
bodes well for XZ0A and if V85AA and 9M2AX would try this time frame...11:30
to 12:00 I believe they would have some success to our area during the next
3 weeks.  W4DR