Topband: Receiver recommendations, please!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiver recommendations, please!
From: 4x4nj@iname.com (R. Kline)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:49:03 -0000
The Drake R4C is a wonderful receiver.  I used one exclusively from 1974
until 1998.  The biggest problem with the receiver was the slowly advancing
aging of the RF coils with a gradual deterioration of their materials
(causing increased losses)  so that the overall gain, even with new tubes
wouldn't come up to the required level.  I didn't realize that Sherwood was
still in business - my Drake R4C has the Sherwood filters intstalled, and I
changed the product detector diodes to hot carrier diodes - extremely simple
and it made a big improvement.  Now, the Drake R4C, as well as its companion
T4XC is still my standbye rig - only getting turned on for a few hours from
time to time to keep the electrolytics in shape.  I'm now using the Yaesu
FT-1000D, and have not been able to say that it is any more sensitive (in
crowded bands, etc.) than my R4C.  However, it does have a considerable
advantage because of the increased resolution (0.1 KHZ), and all the extra
digital features - RIT, 2 VFOs, etc., etc.
73,
Riki, 4X4NJ