Topband: 160 Noise Level ( or lack there of )

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Noise Level ( or lack there of )
From: VY2MGY@IDIRECT.COM (VY2MGY)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:00:04 -0000
Hi All.
I always have a daytime noise level of S0, as I am sure most of you do as
well.
But the thing that gets me is at night I have a typical noise level of S0 to
S1 most
evenings which allows me to stay on my inverted L for both tx and rx. Now
when there
is a active weather system  some where in North America my noise level can
increase
any where from S2 up to S5 typically, but usually no more. This lack of
noise I am talking
about is for the time period from October through March. When the noise hits
S5 I will
switch to the beverage and it drops back down to @ S2 again.

>From April to September I suffer upto 59+40 noise levels like everybody else
but after reading
about peoples high noise levels during the winter months I wonder why I seem
to be excempt???

No evaluation can be accurate with out my antennas and QTH being described.
I have an inverted L with
45' vertical and 125' horizontal and 73 1/4 wave radials. I have two
unterminated beverages, both 500'
long, one running N-S and the other running E-W. I also have a full size
 160 m ) skyhook or skywire
in the shape of a triangle mounted horizontally to the ground up 40'. Both
the inverted L and skywire are
fed with 450 ladder line. My location is on the edge of 13,000 acres of
forest in the country and my soil is
very to extremely poor being very sandy in nature, which proably puts my
real ground, as far as the antenna is concerned, a number of feet down. The
area around me is on top of a glacial moraine and is 1230' above the rest of
Southern Ontario in just about every direction. So is there a reason for my
lack of noise??
I really don't know..... but I am never going to complain!
73
Brian VE3SQZ