Topband: [Fwd: Tropical QRN]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: Tropical QRN]
From: herbs@islands.vi (Herbert Schoenbohm)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:37:30 -0400
I got the following from N0JK:

Hi Herb:
I heard you work FO0AAA on 160 last eve. - congrats! I got 'em at 0704z
using a "bug catcher" mobile whip on a Jeep Cherokee. Too windy hr in KS for
the balloon vertical I normally use on 160 and was surprised to get through
with mobile antenna.

I operated at HC8N last May on 160M and observed the static reduction you
noted at dawn. Just before dawn it would help in reception of VKs and
Pacific stations. However most if not all amateur signals also dropped
quickly as the sun came up. HC8N has a great xmit antenna (1/4 wave wire
vertical with elevated counterpoise of 4 1/4 wave wire radials) on 160 and
maybe can overcome the path loss to you.
73,
Jon N0JK