Topband: more on RFI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: more on RFI
From: alwilliams@olywa.net (Al Williams)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:41:53 -0800
This months PC magazine(Apr 4) has a feature article entitled "Network Your
Home Painlessly".  It is about using the telephone jacks and wires to
interconnect the home computers.  There is nothing in the article describing
how it works other than that it provides a 10-mbps connection speed.  I
suspect that as more-and-more homes have multiple computers networked, that
it wont be painlessly to amateur radio.

A few weeks ago, the local TV cable company was in my area trying to find
the source of interference on their cable that was putting a continuos 24hr
S9+ signal into my receiver on 3536 HZ along with a couple other weaker
signals on other frequencies.  Although we could follow the signal along
their cable, their equipment could not isolate the source.  After
determining (supposedly) that the source was not one of their wall jack
installations (from their installation records and from the fact that I
sometimes could hear FM voice telephone conversations) they have
discontinued searching for the interferer.

This one signal is wiping out 5kc.  I suspect that we are in for a lot more
interference and suggest that
we need to organize RFI investigation committees in our local ham clubs.

k7puc