Topband: JA NEW segment released

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JA NEW segment released
From: ja0dai@ba.mbn.or.jp (S. Watanabe)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:23:42 +0900
Hi Topbanders,

The Japanese authorities announced 29th March officially that Japanese
Amateurs would be allowed to use 1810-1825kHz segment after 1st April
2000 as well as existing 1907.5-1912.5 segment. Only CW is allowed in
both segments as proposed earlier. Our long time petition for wider band
comes true at last!

I personally think that the new segment should be given a priority for DX
QSO, while the existing segment for JA domestic QSO. Not all JAs who
operate on 160m  are the DXer, so we should share the band as mentioned.

I know some East Coast and European stations prefer split QSO with JA as it
is, but we DXer could not occupy both segments for DX exclusively now. We
should try for co-frequency QSO if possible, however we still have to make
a split QSO with stations who only allowed upper than 1825.

I hope all of you understand the Japanese situation, and please look for
JAs or make QSX for JAs in the new segment of 1810 - 1825kHz, thank you.

I will make a tune on my transmit antenna for lower frequency this weekend,
so it is likely that I will not be able to transmit on higher segment
anymore. The season is almost over now, so coming season will be a real
trial & challenge of our new segment operation for us to see if it works OK.
( Let's see what happens for JA on the BQ9P operation coming next week.)

We will see you on somewhere between 1810 and 1825kHz.
73, Watt JA0DAI (also WR3W)