Topband: BOUNCE topband@contesting.com : Approval required:

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BOUNCE topband@contesting.com : Approval required:
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:56:42 +0100
From: W2pm@aol.com
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 07:33:55 EDT
Subject: MFJ 1025 or 1026 Noise Cancellers
To: topband@contesting.com

Does anyone have  views or comments on the MFJ 1025 canceller VS the 1026
which has the optional "active antenna preamp"?  I recently acquired the
1025 as my ANC4 was fine except on the topband. I knew the MFJ phasing
circuit has the  range to cover 160 and also has a main antenna attenuator
which can be very useful in certain scenarios - the ANC4 does not.  However,
it seems the MFJ 1025 version doesnt have the noise antenna gain to perform
well except on the most raucous and strong S7-plus noise sources.  They
advertise the 1026 version as having a "active antenna preamp" targeted to
SWLs I suppose but they do not mention that it may be important for lower
level noise nulling ...    Also, the lack of noise gain requires higher
attenuation of main antenna signals to do the nulling.

73 Pete, W2PM