Topband: Summer 160 Meter DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Summer 160 Meter DX
From: miltj@dvec.org (Milt Jensen)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:40:23 -0700
KN4LF wrote:

>>    With a quiet Atlantic/Caribbean tropics and the drought in the
>> southern U.S., we have found the usual summer lightning QRN problem to
>> be minimal after our local thunderstorm QRN diminishes by 0200 UTC.

Not so here in the Southwest US.  Although this area is still in the midst
of a 24 month drought (less than one inch of moisture in the last 11
months), there has been enough T-storm activity both in the US and south of
the border in Mexico to make nighttime operation on 160 nearly impossible.
I have migrated to 40 Meters and find that band barely quiet enough to
pleasantly operate 50% of the time.
It will be late September before there is much chance for 160 from here in
New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment.

73 de Milt, N5IA