Topband: OMNI VI-Plus

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: OMNI VI-Plus
From: altdx@worldnet.att.net (John Harden, D.M.D.)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:23:04 -0400
Dear Riki,

It was interesting to read your comments relative to the OMNI VI-Plus. I
have had one for over two years, and have found it to be VERY reliable.
When I foolishly left my antenna connected, and took a lightening
strike, I was actually able to fix it myself using the test equipment I
have in my shack. It is impossible to work on a rice box as they are
constructed today with all of the surface mount technology es
miniaturization.

However, the FT-1000 is widely used, and is an excellent rig according
to the comments I hear.
The OMNI VI-Plus hears easily as well, is a lot cheaper, can be worked
on by an experienced
ham operator, and the service is better by far. To me there was no
decision when making the purchase. I just traded in my OMNI V.....

Incidentally I have used the 4X-ray array for years, and only recently
took it down to make room
for a Force-12 75 meter dipole. It worked great for me. I had one to the
NW and one to the NE
at one time. I never did get around to completing the phasing network,
but I do still have the parts for it.

73,

John, W4NU
(K4JAG 1959 to 1998)