Topband: 160 receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 receivers
From: altdx@worldnet.att.net (John Harden, D.M.D.)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:52:16 -0400
Dear All,

It's been interesting to hear all of the comments on receivers for 160.
Unless you have the technical know-how that people like W8JI and others
have, and can modify an R4-C, your best bet is to buy an OMNI VI-Plus
(by the way I have no financial interests in Ten-Tec). You cannot beat
its crystal mixed oscillator....Al Kahn, K4FW, pointed this out to me 10
years ago with the Omni V!!

Rice boxes do have phase noise. It's inherent in a PLL circuit. The
question is can you tolerate the phase noise in your rig???

#1 R4C
#2 Omni VI-Plus
#3 FT-1000, etc.....

73,

John, W4NU
tlanta

P.S. Now you can go out and spend $20,000 on some of the rigs I'v seen
in the military...
       Harris R.F., Rockwell-Collins, etc..The sky is the limit
there..All ham rigs are built on
       budget...