Topband: Re: topband RX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: topband RX
From: fkamp@home.com (fkamp)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:54:36 -0500
I have been following the messages on receivers.  I would
like to thank all those who have posted on this topic.  All
the information was very good (at least I thought so).  Good
enough to deserve a special folder on my hard drive.

My own conclusions from reviewing the information point to
the following as steps to take in optimizing a receiver, not
necessarily in order of priority.

1.  Remove noise generated by the receiver itself (primarily
phase noise).

2.  Use no more gain than absolutely necessary.  The problem
here is determining what is absolutely necessary.  I don't
think you can make that determination without having more
gain than needed.

3.  Add as much selectivity as you can stand and put it as
close to the antenna as possible.  Does anyone know of a
500hZ or better filter with very steep skirts, that works
before the antenna input to the receiver and automatically
tunes from 0.5 to 30 mHz?

Your comments are invited.  I am particularly interested in
finding out if my conclusions are in error.

Thanks,
Frank Kamp
K5DKZ