Topband: Stew Perry

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry
From: miltj@dvec.org (Milt Jensen)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:28:57 -0700

Rob, K2WI wrote in part:

>  I hope that the organizers will not change the the event too much.

>  It is nice to have an event that is different from the other 160m
contests.
>  The winners have been from all different parts of the world, and have
used
> different power levels.  Who can predict the winners?  >
> 73, Rob K2WI

N5IA, operator at N7GP additionally comments;

I am in total agreement with Rob's comments.

In considering my entry in the 1999 SPDC, I evaluated the following:  The
contest was to be held on a Saturday night (USA) of the last weekend for
shopping etc. before Christmas.  From my location, the DX openings had been
few and weak during the previous couple of weeks.  Consequently, I felt
there would be a limited amount of stations making a full contest effort and
less DX for long range points.  If this were the case, then the advantage of
LP or HP would be significantly less.

Therefore I decided to try a QRP effort (my 1st ever in any contest).  If my
predictions were correct, then QRP from the USA mainland would afford the
opportunity to place in the upper scoring brackets.

For once I calculated correctly.  The band was not wall-to-wall with
stations.  The East coast did not get the EU openings.  AND, the West coast
did have the spotlight shine across the Pacific at the very end of the
contest period.

I did not note any significant difference between responses from stations I
called with the QRP level and previous years experiences at LP.  Perhaps I
chose the correct ones to call, and when I CQed I was called by stations
that were always copiable.  The only stations I really never broke the
barrier on were the VK6s.

But I did work FOUR JAs from DM52.  Larry, N7DD, located about 120 miles
from my operating location reports working 27 JAs.  I conclude from this
that HP does have its advantages.  Larry more than made up for the 1 to 4
scoring advantage I had by running QRP.  Larry worked the VK6s; I didn't.

I disagree with the comments made that this is a QRP contest.  IMHO it is a
much more leveled scoring calculation than any other contest that gives the
SPDC a fresh look.  It spreads the opportunity of making the top scores over
a much larger portion of the globe.  The top scores of any other Topband
contest are from Atlantic seacoast areas not far removed from large
population centers.

In conclusion, IMHO the results of the SPDC IV were mainly brought about by
the circumstances of the particular date, the propogation conditions, AND
the operating location.  Not significantly different than any other contest,
other than the scoring calculations of distance and power truly do level the
playing field to a greater extent.  Had the only band opening of the contest
been an eastern US seaboard to EU situation rather than the West
coast/Pacific opening (which is the most common occurrence), ALL the top
scores would have been East coast and EU.

Here's to a new season.  Milt, N5IA