Topband: Equinox boost in conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Equinox boost in conditions
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:47:44 +0800
G'day,

The week before the spring southern hemisphere equinox (23 September)
usually brings with it good conditions around local sunset time into
eastern North America and this year seems no exception.

W8JI was worked at 1001, twelve minutes before local sunset, at RST569 with
heavy QSB.  After working Tom, the band was relatively quiet until a few
minutes before sunset, when the band opened to the eastern seaboard.  A CQ
call produced K1GUN at at RST 569, followed quickly by WA1LNP, W3NF, N2NU,
K9DX, AA1K and WF3J.

My last QSO was at 1022Z, when I had to QRT for tea.  There was heavy and
rapid QSB on all signals of three to four 'S' units.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ