Topband: V85AA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: V85AA
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:20:44 -0400
I had a couple of close contacts with V85AA last year, but he
always had problems hearing me. He could sometimes get a
partial call, one time as close as W8IJ!

I've heard him quite well several times, generally a northwest path
but sometimes skewed as far as SW, so his signal is decent. He
has a kilowatt to a low dipole.

As he explained his situation in e-mail, he has a lot of local QRM
from local signal sources like BC stations and digital. He generally
looks for a clear spot and calls CQ on that clear spot, since the
"holes" in interference move around from day to day. (This is
similar to the problem 9V1PC describes.)

Unfortunately local interference causes his transmitting (with a
KW) to exceed receiving. V85AA appears to be most likely worked
by carefully looking for him between 1830 and 1833 for his CQ's at
our sunrise, he will pick the clearest spot and call there according
to his suggestion last winter.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com