Topband: Re: Hy Gain Hytower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Hy Gain Hytower
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:27:59 EDT
In a message dated 9/26/00 7:38:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time, n7rt@flash.net
writes:

<< I think there is (was?) a 160m loading coil attachment for the Hy-Tower >>

I don't think the Hyrtower is as bad on 160M as some others have reported.  I
set a regional low power record with my first Hytower in one of the 160M
contests from here in Colorado several years ago.  I forget the contest and
date.
 Also, running low power, I worked about 40 countries with the Hytower.
Running higher power I burned out the insulators, replaced them with
something better, which allowed me to run 400 watts, but burned the better
insulators out with 500 watts!   Went to a 90' top loaded shunt fed tower
around 1997.   It's about 6 dB better than the Hytower.
 As others have reported, the Hytower is a fine antenna on 40 and 80- I phase
two of them now on 80- and a fairly good antenna on 160M low power.  I live
on a hilltop and have several thousand feet of "junk" wire radials thrown on
the ground. Like any vertical, it won't work well without a lot of radials.

Doug  W0AH  central Colorado