Fw: Re: Topband: 160 meter DX window question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Re: Topband: 160 meter DX window question
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 11:05:32 +0100
The old DX Window started by W1BB (which was 1825-1830 kHz) made sense in a
time when receivers were much broader and when 160 meter frequency
allocations around the world were inconsistent -- different countries had
different parts of the band and transceive operation was legally impossible.

Times have changed, and equipment has improved. Now countries have more
frequencies in common. Even the JA's now have a part of the band that
overlaps with allocations in much of the rest of the world. And the band is
much more crowded, especially in contests. I don't think we can afford two
frequencies for a QSO -- with the exception of the truly rare expedition or
DX station that needs to work split frequency.

While the 160m contests have a "voluntary" DX Window of 1830-35 kHz,
there's no such animal in non-contest periods. The ARRL 160m band plan
calls for DX QSOs between 1830-1850 kHz (with SSB above 1840). Doesn't say
anything about not calling CQ there -- which is a valid way of getting DX
contacts (probably about a third to half of my 273 countries were in
response to CQs). CQs often wake up a "dead" band. Good listening, of
course, is a necessity. But if everyone just listened we wouldn't work anyone.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware