Topband: PSK 31 Enthusiast and others

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: PSK 31 Enthusiast and others
From: billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:43:18 -0400
Gentlemen,

I received some critical reviews of my PSK31 contacts and the following
frequencies and times will apply to all future PSK31 activities.

All PSK31 transmissions will be between 1.800 and 1.810 probably in the
center at 1.805.  I will try to transmit CQ calls at 10:00 every evening
from the East Coast for about 15 minutes (1) CQ series every minute.  This
action is being taken to avoid any interference with the CW DX portion of
the band.  I will be using only 75 watts as that seems to be all one
needs to make solid contacts.  If anyone has opinions on the new frequencies
please let me know.  Constructive ones please.

To those who commented that my activities on 1.824 may interfere with weak
signal CW, I can only say that PSK31 is an excellent weak signal mode and
probably would fare better than CW in some respects.  Unlike (wide) CW,
PSK31 has a bandwidth of only 31 Hz and can therefore accommodate about 32
individual qso's without interference to adjacent users within 1Khz of
spectrum.  That's efficient use of available spectrum.

I don't pretend to know everything about how things are "Organized" on 160,
but I am trying.  Please be patient.

Thanks to all who took the time to send responses.

Bill
WA2AEH