Topband: Re: Beverage Length

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Beverage Length
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:14:37 -0400
Hi Jan,

>      Seems to me that anything much shorther then 4 wl doesn´t
>      work. If you check Misek's book you can see that you need
>      about 4 wl for 25-30 deg waveangle and anything higher than
>      that is useless.

I don't follow that line of thought. Even a 1 WL Beverage has good
response along the ground for groundwave, and at low wave angles
for skywave.

A 4 WL Beverage is about useless because the phase of the
arriving wave randomly and rapidly changes in a few wavelengths of
distance.

It is virtually impossible to keep two points separated by more than
1 or 2 wavelengths "in-phase" because of the effects of
propagation. This is especially true at sunrise or sunset, when the
ionosphere is changing.

I've had 3 WL Beverages, and quickly found in A-B comparison to
shorter 1 and 1-1/2 wl Beverages they were generally worse....not
better. All my long Beverages are now long gone.

The few times the ionosphere is stable enough to allow antennas
spread over a large distance to be effective, I can combine a bunch
of smaller antennas into a large array from the operating position.

At least on 160 meters, the number of times a year I can use what
amounts to a 4 WL long array numbers in the single digits!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com