Topband: DOUBLED RADIALS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DOUBLED RADIALS
From: magoo@isp.on.ca (bill mchugh)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:48:53 -0400
If you "double up" a 1/4 wavelength of radial in the same slit except for
10-15 feet at the end closest to the antenna, is the net effect
approximately 1/8 wavelength of wire in the ground or is it something
between the full 1/4 length and 1/8th?  It obviously won't be as efficient
as it would if the whole length was stretched out but would there be so much
coupling between the wire doubled back on itself that it would be a waste of
wire?

I'm helping a friend spade in some wire for a vertical and he posed the
question.  I really had no answer for him but I guessed and said it would be
a waste of wire.  Comments?

Bill