Topband: Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverages
From: k5go@alltel.net (Stan Stockton)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:00:32 -0600
I'm sure these questions have been addressed before, but I need some
advice.  Time is closing fast on getting ready to work the CQWW test in
the multi-multi category for the first time.  I've put up a few
beverages and would like to use them on 160 and 80 for sure and perhaps
on other bands as well.  Would build some receiving filters such as what
W3LPL uses if the time is available. Probably will have the time to
build up some 9-1 type matching transformers if needed.  Here are the
questions:

1.  After putting up the beverages, I just hooked 3/4 inch CATV hardline
to them without any impedance transformation for the time being. Plenty
of signal and, perhaps (or not) due to rain in area, some noise as well.
If you can hear noise on an unmatched beverage, is there any resulting
benefit in signal to noise ratio by having a proper match or would it be
the same effect as adding a preamplifier when one is not needed?

2.  Can we anticipate big problems using these receiving antennas on
multiple bands in the multi-multi category if we do not have filters,
splitters, etc. in the receiver antenna lines?

If the filters are a must, and anyone knows of a good source for all the
silver mica capacitors that might be needed, I would appreciate a direct
e-mail.  Any other other practical suggestions for making this system
functional would be appreciated.  We've still got many "minor details"
left to do such as finish a tower and put up something that will rotate
for 40M!

Stan, K5GO