Topband: Long Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Long Path
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:35:02 -0500
Hi All,

> Although I tend to agree with most of Bill's comments, there are some
> notable exceptions to the coincidence of LP and skewed LP propagation with
> the greyline. From New England we occasionally get skewed LP propagation
> on 160 to VK6 at our sunset in Dec. and Jan.  Both VK6VZ and VK6HD come
> through on this path. However, the heading is 45 to 90 degrees, which is
> neither a true LP nor a greyline path along the terminator (both of which
> would be around ~150 degrees). I have also heard JA's at this same heading
> at our sunset in winter, although true LP propagation to JA (on the rare
> occasions it occurs) via the ~150 degree path is more prevalent.

I find the same or a very similar thing John. When the signal skews
here (and it does so quite often on long distance paths, even when
not near the poles), it generally has no relationship to the greyline.

For example, a few weeks ago ZL3REX was skewed NW (normal is
definitely SW) and it was two hours before daylight here.
Occasionally VK3ZL and the others move from SW to NW, or vice
versa. On much rarer occasions, the JA's skew SW to W. The XZ's
were readable SE in the evening and SW in the mornings, etc.

When I look at the greyline, it more often than not has nothing to
do with the direction of the skew path.

73, Tom W8JI