Topband: magnetic loop receiving antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: magnetic loop receiving antennas
From: roycraft@research.att.com (Ted Roycraft)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:46:40 -0500
In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article describing
a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna - "The Optima
160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.  I'm tempted to
build this thing to see what it does to my receive noise level on 160.
The only reason I'm reluctant to go ahead is that the price of the
required ferrite rods alone is over $120.  (It uses a total of 72 inches
of 1/2 inch diameter Amidon type 61 ferrite rod).

By the way, I'm using an inverted-L for both transmit and receive at the
moment.
I'm located on a suburban lot so anything like a Beverage antenna is out
of the question but I'm still looking to improve my received SNR.

Does anyone have any comments on this loop antenna or one like it?

Thanks and 73,
Ted, W2ZK