Topband: Where's New England?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Where's New England?
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:42:21 -0800
Mike, AB5XP in Louisiana wrote:

"Where was California???

Very few stations from west, no WA this year or OR.  Really strange."
==========
Worked a couple of other stations in Louisiana, but sorry we missed you,
Mike.  There was lots of big signal activity from California in the
contest.  WA and OR were well-represented also.

I thought condx from here in southern California were above average to
the east coast in the contest, except for the iron curtain just north of
W2 land.  The 1's were scarce as hen's teeth here.  Was surprised hear
and work several east coast stations (W3 and W4 land) and the midwest as
early as 3:00PM local time, almost two hours before my sunset.

There's never much DX activity in the ARRL 160 contest, but the unusually
big and consistent signals from the stations in the Caribbean and fair
condx to JA helped enhance the excitement of the contest.

Farthest north station worked was KL7RA and the farthest south (and west)
was VK6HD.  Farthest east was K1ZM.  Got all VE sections except MAR
(where was VE1ZZ?).

73, de Earl, K6SE