Topband: Inverted "L" Construction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted "L" Construction
From: na2m@computer.net (G. William Hellman)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:45:35 -0800
Re: N4JN request for info constructing his inverted "L", this is my
arrangement.

At the top where the wire bends, I use a 7" aluminum clothes line pully. The
pulley is attached to a lanyard so that it can be lowered easily.

The far end rope is also fed through a 7" pulley to a couple of old window
sash weights.
At the base of the antenna the wire is threaded through a clothes line
sleeve-type tightener.
I fastened two bungee cords to the loop on the tightener and anchor the
cords to a pipe driven in the ground. The wire is now slack and feeds into
a Rubbermaid plastic box via a hole drilled in the side.

In the box I have a tuning assembly consisting of a roller inductor and a
500pf motor-driven capacitor. One end of the roller inductor is connected to
the ground radial system. The other end is connected to the capacitor and
the antenna wire is connected to the other side of the capacitor.
I feed the system via the roller itself. I tuned the system on 1830 kHz.

My antenna is about 140 feet end-to-end. The wire is #12 stranded. The motor
on the capacitor is 110-volt AC and is reversible. This arrangement allows
me to tune the antenna from the shack from 1800 to 2000 kHz, and it also will
tune the 80-meter band from about 3750 to 4000 Khz.

I hope this info is useful to you and others on the reflector.

73, Bill, NA2M
na2m@arrl.net

P.S. I will unsubscribe temporarily while I rearrange my e-mail service.