Topband: Dual Band Inv L - 2 Points to clarify

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Dual Band Inv L - 2 Points to clarify
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:42:53 +0100
Hi Brian,

if my memory doesn't fail, once I analyzed something very similar for a
friend, the feed point impedance of your antenna should be in the range
of 40 Ohm resistive on 80m (3.5 MHz) and 6 -j400 on 160m (1.8), this
assuming your ground losses are only a few ohms.
In my opinion the 6 ohms are already in a critical area to be managed
and to have a decent performance or you minimize line losses on top
band or you lenghten the radiator to rise its feed point impedance.
As W8IJ already explained, feeding an unbalanced antenna with a
balanced line causes a number of extra troubles that add to inherent
line losses, expecially in the case where the feed point antenna
impedance is rather low.
Having a real good ground one may try choking the balanced line (you
can try to wind it over some ferrite stick, like on PA filament chokes)
but if I were you I'll will use coax, lenghten the 80m radiator until
it's close to an equivalent 120° and I'll use some matching system at
the antenna base.

73,
Mauri I4JMY