Topband: Beverage Termination

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Termination
From: cdietz@swbell.net (Logan Dietz)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:40:07 -0600
I just put up a new SE beverage and need to guess at the termination.
It is only 400 feet long and averages about 12 feet high.  I am guessing
800 ohms.

I tried it last night on 75 meters with no termination.  I copied a FM
working a LX.  I could not even hear the LX on the SE Beveverage, but he
was Q5 on the NE Beverage.  On the NE Beverage the FM was audible, but
was Q5 on the SE Beverage.  At least it appears to work on 75...

When I have time, I will use a variable pot to null a signal off the
back.  I am hoping to find an AM station between 1600 - 1700 khz off the
back.

Anyone tried to maximize the termination on a 400 foot beverage on 160?
Will a Beverage that short even work on 160?  Would a pennant work
better?

Thanks,

Chuck, W5PR