R: Topband: Loopsticks on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: R: Topband: Loopsticks on 160
From: Giulio Scaroni" <scaroni@phoenix.it (Giulio Scaroni)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:42:50 +0100
N0FP:
>If anybody has been experimenting with large ferrites on 160, I want to
>hear from you.

Hi Ford,
here during my experiments on the receiving antenna on 160, i have also
tried with the loopstick.
So i have made it using 4 ferrite stick long each about 20 cm. and large
each about 0.8 cm, so the result is a fat ferrite antenna, with a dia of
about 2 cm.
Here we may find this ferrite at the ham fest for 2 dollars each the last
year.
I have put a low noise pre made with a SL 560 Plessey tha have 40 dB of
gain, and surprise, yes is a compromise antenna, but all the signal that i
receive on the big magnetic loop ( 4 meters diameter), i receive also on the
loopstick!!!!!!!!!!
I use it for the local qso, but it work well also for DX, i have received
EA8 on SSB well, and some others.
So, the little (only 1 meter dia) shielded loop made with the hardline
Andrew LDF 5-50A like i use, shure is best and easy to made, but is
intersting look how is possible receive signal also indoor (yes indoor) near
the window with the loopstick.
Also the signal noise for me is not so different between the large mag loop
and the loopstick!!, yes using the 40 dB pre on it.
And is interesting null the signal that is caming also from the sky turning
the loopstick, not only the ground wave signal, made this with the big is
alittle bit impossible.
But remember the pre must to be very good and low noise.

Well 73 to all, from a crazy topbander.

IK2DED Giulio.