Topband: MFSK on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: MFSK on 160m
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 06:19:20 -0500
As a point of general information, we now have several stations
using MFSK on 1838 and lower.

MFSK sounds like musical tones, and is a few kHz wide. One guy
tonight had his gain too high, and had tones from 1834 to 1838.

The actual web page for the download of software tell everyone to
use 1838 LSB as the MFSK operating frequency. This places
MFSK on 1838 and lower, and it is a wide mode that is very
subject to distortion that makes it even wider!

NOTE: This is worse than the PSK issue, because they are telling
people very prominently to operate 1838 LSB. For example,
EVERY TIME the software I downloaded boots-up it say to operate
1838 LSB!!!

The PSK suggestion of operating 1838 was more subtle. This stuff
will murder the DX. It is wider, easier to overmodulate, and the
software itself tells people to operate in the DX Window.

We need to start contacting our ARRL directors TODAY before the
next board meeting and get them to establish a workable digital
area on 160.  If we don't push the ARRL hard and the MFSK users
group, we will not have 1840 to maybe 1835 or lower soon.

You can join the MFSK discussion group at MFSK@egroups.com

Give me a hand please in applying pressure, the PSK issue took
about 50-100 hours of my time so far and I can't keep this up on
two fronts!

Thanks.

73, Tom W8JI