Topband: Question abt gain in bi- vs uni-directional Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Question abt gain in bi- vs uni-directional Beverage
From: cdietz@swbell.net (Logan)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 07:39:06 -0600
This might be a good opportunity for me to give my limited experience
with bi vs uni directional short (400 feet) beverage in Stew Perry.  I
put up a 400' SE beverage just before the test.  I had various tips on
Topband about the termination value.  Some said they had unterminated
400' beverages and they worked fine.  Others suggested that it would be
so short that I would need to terminate it to get a useable s to n
ratio.
        I started Stew Perry with it terminated with 600 ohms. (Just a guess at
an appropriate value.)  I was able to work the Caribbean stations
perhaps a little earlier than with the transmit antenna. (Inverted V)
There was a distinct advantage on receive to the Caribbean.  At about 11
p.m. I removed the termination.  I never found any signal afterward that
was better on the Beverage than the transmit antenna.

While such a one-shot test is of limited scientific value, it sure did
convince me to terminate that Beverage!

Chuck, W5PR